Mar 8, 2013

Homemade Play Dough


001sq When I was a little girl, my grandmother used to homemade play dough to keep me busy while she made cakes. I loved play dough and I loved pretending to cook a cake like my granny.

I have such wonderful memories about those days, thinking about my granny and I making a cake or cooking homemade pasta, make me feel so peaceful.

My daughters also love playing with play dough and any time they ask I make it for them and let them play as much as they like.

Homemade play dough has lots of qualities that anyone should think about before giving any play dough to children.

First of all it isn’t dangerous for children, it’s made by flour, salt, water and a drop of food color (if you would like to add it) so also little children, who have the bad habit to put everything in mouths, can play safely with it.
You can chose the ingredients, so if your child has any kind of problem with ingredients (intolerance, allergy, and so on..)   you can use the best for him/her.  
Your children can use the same shapes you use to cut cookies because the ingredients are the same of the cookies.
It’s not made by plastic so when it’s dry and children will not able to play with it anymore, you just throw in the compost bin.

Ingredients:
2 cups of plain flour (or gluten free for intolerant children)
1/2 cup of salt
1/2 cup of water
Food coloring (optional)

In a big bowl mix flour and salt well, then add water gradually.
Mix with your hands and add water until the dough is smooth. Probably you need less water, depending of the flour. 
But if you add too much water don’t despair! Just add some more flour until the dough is smooth.
On the other hand if it’s too hard add a little bit of water.

When the dough is smooth and soft enough (remember that children are not strong as parents) add a drop or two of food coloring and mix well with your hands.
For a brighter color add more food coloring.

Remember that different colors of food coloring could be mixed together, so you need to buy just red, blue and yellow to have all the colors your children want.


002 Ask your children to help you mixing and coloring the dough. They will learn to mix ingredients to have a dough to play with and they will also learn how to mix colors to obtain a new one.

You can also make 3 different dough in different colors: 1 red, 1 blue and 1 yellow and let your children free to mix two or all of them to make different colors.

Show them that adding different colors in different amounts they will obtain new colors.
Make it together and they will learn a lot.

Then let them free to play with their play dough, stay with them helping for hard things such as making a difficult shapes or colors.
 
003Play dough is a such creative game for all ages, I also enjoy myself playing with it.

Children learn a lot: little ones learn to use their hands, that are difficult and powerful tools to learn to use, they learn colors, they use their creativity to make things with their own hands.

Big children have the opportunity to let their mind free from everyday routine and use their creativity to create something new while relaxing a bit.

And parents… spend a great creative time with children making different shapes, colors or creations together.

thankyou2

5 comments:

Jennifer on March 11, 2013 at 2:30 AM said...

Hi, I followed your link on MBC. Your blog is great, you have so many great ideas here. I will definitely be trying some. This type of clay is so wonderful; we've made it too. I even have a recipe passed down from my mother-in-law that she made when my husband was a kid. I'm following your blog and I look forward to reading more. If you want to check out my blog, it's at thistlebearhome.blogspot.com :)

Anabell on March 11, 2013 at 2:37 PM said...

Hi, Thank you so much for your comment.
I'm really happy you enjoyed your stay at Cuddles and Bubbles and the recipe for the clay too :)
I'm visiting your blog soon.
Keep in touch.

shelbysmithhisler on March 14, 2013 at 5:28 AM said...

Love homemade Play-Doh! Great post!

Anabell on March 15, 2013 at 6:26 PM said...

Hi
Thank you for your lovely comment!

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I found your site by the use of Google even as searching for
a comparable matter, your website came up, it looks great. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.


Hi there, just was alert to your blog through Google, and found
that it is really informative. I am gonna watch out for
brussels. I will be grateful in the event you proceed
this in future. Lots of other folks will be benefited from your writing.

Cheers!

Stop by my web site men's Jeans

Post a Comment

 

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Term of Use

All content provided on this blog is for informational purposes only. The owner of this blog makes no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. The owner will not be liable for any errors or omissions in this information nor for the availability of this information. The owner will not be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages from the display or use of this information. These terms and conditions of use are subject to change at anytime and without notice.

Cuddles and Bubbles Copyright © 2009 Flower Garden is Designed by Ipietoon for Tadpole's Notez Flower Image by Dapino